Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me...

My cheeks are still red from embarrassment.

While walking around Target yesterday, aimlessly wandering the store, Catherine and I were standing at an endcap, looking at something. I glanced up and saw a man walking towards us. Immediately, I knew what was going to happen. I desperately tried to distract Catherine with whatever toy thing was on the endcap, but as soon as her eyes rested on him, I knew I was out of luck.

"Mommy!!! Mommy!!!", she screamed as she pointed in his direction. "IT'S A PIRATE!!"

Quickly I tried to hush her, to distract her, but she wasn't having any of it. As he neared us, Catherine put on her best pirate face and yelled, "ARGH! Me hearty!"

The man - with the skull & bones bandanna and the black eye patch covering his right eye - looked taken aback.

The seconds seemed to pass as slowly as hours as Catherine reached her arm out to shake his hand... "Shake your hand, Capt. Feathersword."

Great... now not only is this poor man a pirate, but he is a queer Wiggle's pirate.

He smiled, shook her hand, and played along. A feeling of relief washed over me. At least he wasn't going to make me walk the plank.

I apologized as he walked away and listened to Catherine jabber on in half-formed sentences about Capt. Feathersword.

2 comments:

Estep Family said...

Kids - aren't they great?!

Amanda said...

Omg... that story just made me laugh like a fool for a couple of minutes.